Enjoy the cultural and ecological variety of the inner Choco, Colombia´s forgotten region. Travel through the coffee region of Antioquia´s Southwest and experience the change from Andin highlands to tropical lowlands. Hike in dense mountain forests and tropical rain forests. Swim in crystal clear rivers and waterfalls and travel on the Rio Atrato, one of Latin America´s biggest rivers. Get to know the elusive Quibdo and the idyllic Tutunendo with its tropical rivers. Learn about the curse of the gold and devastating environmental destruction. Experience a breath-taking drive on dirt roads through the jungle of Choco. This travel package contains a perfect mix of ecologically and culturally touristic elements, furthermore, it provides an insight into the critical topic of exploitation of natural resources and its social and ecological consequences.
Day 1: Antioquia´s coffee region and Choco´s Andin mountains
This journey will take you through Antioquia´s Southwest – Colombia´s hidden coffee zone – to the foothills of the Western Andes. Our destination is the protected area Las Tangaras with its amazing cloud forests. This is where Rio Atrato begins, the biggest river in Choco. In a solitary valley not far from Ciudad Bolivar you will hike first through coffee plantations to some picturesque waterfalls in the protected area of Farallones de Citara. After visiting the coffee village Ciudad Bolivar you will arrive to Las Tangaras. You will spend the night at the visitors´ center on the waterside of Rio Atrato.
Day 2: Las Tangaras Nature Reserve – Hike through Choco´s Cloud Forest
On a guided tour through the cloud forests in the Las Tangaras nature reserve you will get experience the unbelievable biodiversity of Colombia´s Pacific region. The nature reserve protects one of the lesser known eco systems in the country. The untouched mountain forests of the Andin Choco are refuge to numerous endemic species of animals and plants. In the late afternoon you will arrive at the visitors´ center where you will also spend another night.
Day 3: From the Andes to the Pacific Lowlands
Passing by countless waterfalls and dense tropical vegetation, an unpaved road will direct you deep into the jungle. You will drive through indigenous settlements and pass by breath-taking view points of the endless wilderness of the Pacific rain forest. In the late afternoon, you will reach the sleepy afro-Colombian settlement, Tutunendo. On the veranda of a simple, family-run hotel you can enjoy activities on the watersides. Women wash clothes, children play in the water, and fishermen navigate the river on traditional canoes. You will spend the night in a familiy-run hotel inTutunendo.
Day 4: Rain Forest, crystal clear rivers and the curse of the gold
The Choco region is one of the highest in gold density in the world and gold extraction has always been a central part of the daily life of the people. In the morning, you will visit a typical gold mine. After an introduction into the extraction process, you can dig for gold yourself. Amongst others, we will discuss the social and ecological consequences of the mining in Choco and the different methods of extraction. In the afternoon, you will ride the Tutunendo river in a traditional canoe and visit the falls of Sal de Frutas and Paloquemao. You will spend the night again in Tutunendo.
Day 5: Jungle Hike and Relaxing by the River
First you will hike through the rain forest of Tutunendo. Thanks to its geographical location, the small village offers a unique variety of species. An employee of the biological station of Tutunendo will accompany you on a hike to ecologically and culturally interesting spots and tell you what is special about the nature and culture in Choco. The afternoon will be at your disposal. Enjoy the idyllic beaches of the Rio Tutunendo and spend one last night in Tutunendo.
Day 6: Turbulent Quibdo and the magical Atrato river
On this day you will visit the vibrant capital of Choco. Quibdo is located on the shores of the Rio Atrato, surrounded by tropical rain forest and is the economical and cultural center of the region. On a guided tour through the city´s historic center, you will learn more about its moving history and the colonization of Choco. Passing by the monumental cathedral San Francisco, you will go down to the harbor with its colorful market. The variety of goods and exotic fruits seems endless. On a boat trip on the Rio Atrato you will marvel at the typical huts making up the settlements in the region. In the afternoon, you will visit the biological research station Pando. You will spend the night at a comfortable hotel in the historic center of Quibdo.
Day 7: Through the rain forest to Antioquia
Starting in Quibdo, the last day of your journey will take you on the beautiful jungle roads of Choco back to Antioquia. On the ride you will have the opportunity to take some last pictures and with a heavy heart to say goodbye to Choco´s people who are so full of joy. In the evening you will arrive in Medellin full of unforgettable memories of a “different“ Colombia.
*In case of unforeseen circumstances and to assure the passenger’s comodity and safety the intinerary can be subject of changing.
- Immerse yourself in the cultural and spirit of the colombian Choco
- Visit the Farallones de Citarra nature reserve (Antioquia)
- Hikes in cloud forests and tropical rain forests (Las Tangaras and Tutunendo)
- Visit the coffee village of Ciudad Bolivar, the pearl of Southwest Antioquia
- Discover turbulent Quibdo and its historical river market
- Enjoy a boat trip on the powerful Rio Atrato
- Visit traditional gold mines and dig for gold yourself in Tutunendo
- Canoe tour on the Rio Tutunendo
- Visit the ecological research stations in Quibdo and Tutunendo
- Breath-taking views of picturesque landscapes
Prices & Conditions
- from 623 EUR pp
- Private transportation incl. pick-up-service
- Accommodation: 2x nature reserve Las Tángaras, 3x Tutunendo, 1x Quibdo (single or shared rooms)
- Meals (7x breakfast / 7x lunch / 6x dinner)
- Guided hikes in Las Tangaras nature reserve (cloud forest) and in the protected area of Tutunendo (rain forest)
- Canoe tour on Rio Tutunendo
- Guided tour through the historical center of Quibdo (market, harbor, cathedral, promenade)
- Boat tour on Rio Atrato
- Multilingual guide (English / Spanish / German)
- Water, tea, coffee, fruit juices
- Personal expenses
- Activities not mentioned in the program
- August 19
- December 16
- Individual group tour: All tours are made for individual booking. With 3, 4 or 5 individual bookings we will confirm the trip.
- Private trip: You can book any tour as a private trip and can start at any date you want.