The East of Antioquia is one of the most watery regions in Colombia. Countless rivers have their sources in the green hills and create fantastic streaming landscapes surrounded by impressive scenic nature. This tour connects the moving history of Medellin with outdoor activities in an amazing environment. Visit idyllic mountain villages, swim in crystal clear rivers, take a bath in tropical waterfalls and discover mysterious caves and pre-Colombian petroglyphs and adventure rafting on Rio Claro. Visit Pablo Escobar´s notorious Hacienda Napoles which has since been converted into the country´s biggest amusement park. Enjoy the atmosphere of Rio Claro which is one of Colombia´s most beautiful rivers.
Day 1: Through Antioquia´s green east
The journey´s first destination is Cocorna, a typical Paisa village with beautiful old façades and a view over the dazzling landscape of Antioquia´s Eastern Highlands. The crystal clear Rio Cocorna with its lovely ponds flows here. In the afternoon you will visit a butterfly garden and a snake house at the El Faisan Foundation which provides you with an understanding for the region´s biodiversity. In the early evening you will arrive at San Luis, a sleepy, tiny village surrounded by waterfalls and wooden hills. You will spend the night in a charming family-run hotel.
Day 2: Waterfalls, rivers and pre-Hispanic petroglyphs in San Luis
You will start the day with a short hike to the close waterfalls La Planta and Rio Dormilon. The Dormilon River is one of the cleanest rivers in Colombia and the most beautiful spots are located not far from the center of San Luis. In the afternoon, a local guide will take you on the pre-Hispanic peoples’ trail. Deep in the woods, there are mysterious petroglyphs by an indigenous culture which has left just little evidence as to what they mean. Afterwards, you will refresh yourself in the clear waters of the Dormilon river. You will spend the night in the same family-run hotel in San Luis.
Day 3: Hike Cascada La Cuba and Nature Reserve Rio Claro
In the morning you will climb up to the powerful waterfalls La Cuba that plunge into the valley in three stages. A narrow path will lead you up to the highest stage, passing by dense tropical vegetation. From there the falls plunge in front of your feet into the deep and you will get a spectacular view over the green mountainside of San Luis. In the afternoon, you will leave San Luis in direction of Rio Claro. The canyon of Rio Claro with its huge marble rocks is one of the most beautiful streaming landscapes within Colombia and has been protected since 1975. Relax on the picturesque watersides and enjoy nature in the river’s canyon. You will spend the night at the comfortable El Refugio eco-lodge in the Rio Claro nature reserve.
Day 4: Active Day at Nature Reserve Rio Claro
This day’s plan is action and adrenaline. In the morning you will work up a sweat rafting in the river (easy level of difficulty suitable for beginners). Enjoy the turbulent ride amidst tropical rain forest and see exotic plants and colorful birds. Back to Rio Claro, the next outdoor activity is offered in the afternoon. On a zip lining circuit with several stations you can enjoy a bird´s eye view of the river and the trees. If you have a fear of heights or simply prefer not to zip line you can participate in a cave hike to the spectacular underworld of the Rio Claro. You will spend this night at the Rio Claro eco-lodge as well.
Day 5: Hacienda Napoles – History vs. Holiday Park
On the last day of the journey you will visit the bizarre world of the notorious Hacienda Napoles, Pablo Escobar´s former residence. On a guided tour you will know this historical place which has become Colombia´s biggest amusement park. Besides having fun in the theme park and Escobar´s former private zoo you will have the opportunity to learn about the life of the world´s most famous drug lord. In the late afternoon, you will head back to Medellin where you will arrive in the early evening.
*In case of unforeseen circumstances and to assure the passenger’s comodity and safety the intinerary can be subject of changing.
- Diverse eco systems and protected areas
- Visit Pablo Escobar´s former residence Hacienda Napoles
- Enjoy the famous Rio Claro Nature reserve
- Visit to the charming villages Cocorna, San Luis and Doradal
- Cave hike, Canopy and Rafting in Rio Claro
- Spectacular waterfalls in San Luis and a swim in Colombia´s cleanest river
Prices & Conditions
- from 467 EUR pp
- Private transportation incl. pick-up-service
- Accommodation: 2 nights at a charming hotel in San Luis (single or shared room)
- Accommodation: 2 nights at eco-lodge El Refugio in the Rio Claro nature reserve (single or shared room)
- Meals (5x breakfast / 5x lunch / 4x dinner)
- Two guided hikes to the waterfalls and pre-Hispanic petroglyphs in San Luis
- Entrance fee and guided tour through the butterfly garden and the snake terrarium at El Faisan Foundation
- Entrance fee to the Rio Claro nature reserve
- Rafting on Rio Claro
- Zip lining or cave hike in Rio Claro
- Hike in the Rio Claro nature reserve
- Entrance fee to Hacienda Napoles
- Multilingual guide (English / Spanish / German)
- Water, tea, coffee, fruit juices
- Personal expenses
- Activities not mentioned in the program
- December 5th
- Individual group tour: All tours are made for individual booking. With 3, 4 or 5 individual bookings we will confirm the trip.
- Private trip: You can book any tour as a private trip and can start at any date you want.