Southwest Antioquia – full of green valleys, mountains and rivers – is one of Colombia’s most beautiful landscapes. Far away from mass tourism, one of the most important regions of coffee cultivation in the country is located here. Discover hidden falls, mysterious cloud forests and an untouched world of idyllic mountain villages where time seems to stand still. Explore the region through unpaved roads and immerse yourself in the traditional life of the local peasants. Hike on pre-Hispanic paths through Andin cloud forests full of orchids, bromeliads and colorful tropical birds. Marvel at villages, nested in the green hills, and learn about coffee production from coffee tree to coffee cup.
Day 1: Through the tropical Cauca valley to Southwest Antioquia
The roundtrip begins with a visit to the old railway bridge in Amaga. You will drive through breathtaking landscapes through the valley of the Cauca River to the sleepy village of Puente Iglesias. On the waterside we will meet traditional gold washers and learn more about their daily work. Here you’ll have the opportunity to wash gold yourself. In the afternoon, you will reach the colonial mountain village of Tamesis and spend the night in comfortable finca-hotel with a breathtaking view on the Cauca river valley.
Day 2: Hike through Andin Cloud Forest – Protected Area of San Antonio
On this day you will hike through the mysterious cloud forests of the San Antonio nature reserve in the mountains above Tamesis. On a pre-Hispanic stone path you will hike up into the impressive mountain forest. A local guide will show you waterfalls hidden in the rocks, underground rivers, caves and amazing view points. This night will also be spent in the finca-hotel in Tamesis.
Day 3: Jardin de Antioquia – The green heart of the Southwest
After visiting an organic coffee farm near Tamesis, where you´ll learn more about coffee from the plant to the cup, you will head towards Jardin on an unpaved road through a unique landscape full of coffee plantations and idyllic scenery. Jardin is located high up on the mountains and is known as the most beautiful village in Antioquia. It’s nested in the green hills surrounded by coffee and banana plantations. The background of this imposing setting is the protected area of La Cuchilla with its cloud forests and its great biodiversity. Jardin is famous for its colorful houses and balconies and has already been declared a national monument.
In the afternoon, you will go on a guided tour through the village in which you will also visit the local museum where history and colonization of the region come to life. After a sample of Doña Mariela´s prizewinning sweets in the Tienda de las Dulces de Jardin, you will ride on a traditional cablecar to the other side of the valley. You’ll return on foot, a relaxed, small hike to the village and spend the night in the idyllic finca-Hotel “Kantarrana“.
Day 4: Hike or horseback ride to El Esplendor cave
In the morning, you will horseback ride to the protected area of La Cuchilla to the famous El Esplendor cave. Passing by the typical coffee farms of the region, you will arrive after about two hours to the cloud forest and the El Esplendor cave. This location has a unique beauty. A waterfall runs down through a hole in the ceiling of the cave into a pond which is surrounded by lush-greenery, tropical vegetation. After a full lunch on the side of the fall, you will return to Jardin in the late afternoon. You’ll spend another night at Kantarrana
Day 5: Powerful Waterfalls and cablecar ride over coffee plantations
On the continuation of the journey to Ciudad Bolivar, you will detour to the sleepy town of Taparto on the edge of the protected area of Farallones de Citara, a mountain chain that separates Antioquia from the lowlands of the Pacific Choco. On an unpaved road, you will get to the powerful falls of Taparto. Here you can swim in crystal clear water and climb up the impressive waterfalls. In the afternoon, you will arrive at Ciudad Bolivar, one of the friendliest villages of the Southwest, where high, wooden mountains create a mild climate. There you will visit Parque del Cafe – El Saman. The day will be completed by zip lining or cablecar-ride over the coffee plantations. You will spend the night in a charming hotel in Ciudad Bolivar, very close to the picturesque village square.
Day 6: Cuidad Bolivar – Coffee and Nature
You will start the last day with a walk through the facilities of the Cooperativa de los Cafeteros del Suroeste. Hereby learning about the storage, processing, and quality management of the coffee cultivated in this area. On the way back to Medellin, you will visit a remote valley and go into the protected area of Farallones de Citara. Here you will do one last short hike to the 60 meter high waterfall Cola de Caballo. In the early evening, you will arrive to Medellin.
*In case of unforeseen circumstances and to assure the passenger’s comodity and safety the intinerary can be subject of changing.
- Visit of different eco systems in the protected areas San Antonio, La Cuchilla, Río Frío and Farallones de Citara
- Swim in crystal clear rivers on the famous waterfalls of Jardin, Tamesis and Taparto
- Experience the famous Colombian coffee culture
- Visit of an organic coffee farm
- Discover the beauty of the mountain villages Tamesis, Jardin, Cuidad Bolivar, Puente Iglesias, Fredonia, and Taparto
- Horseback ride and hike to the protected area of La Cuchilla in Jardín
- Visit the unique cave El Esplendor
- Accommodation in charming hotels
- Diversified journey through picturesque landscapes with breath-taking views
Prices & Conditions
- from COP 950.000,- / USD 499,- pp (10 participants)
- Private transportation incl. pick-up-service
- Accommodation: 2x Jardín, 2x Tamesis, 1x Ciudad Bolivar
- Meals (6x breakfast / 6x lunch / 5x dinner)
- Visit to the historical railway bridge in Amaga (national monument)
- Guided tour on an organic coffee farm in Tamesis
- Entrance fee to the village museum in Jardin
- Visit of the production facilities of Dulces de Jardin
- Ride in the traditional cablecar (“Garrucha”) in Jardin
- Horseback ride to the protected area of La Cuchilla in Jardin
- Guided hike to the cave Esplendor in Jardin
- Guided hike to the protected area of San Antonio in Tamesis
- Visit to the coffee cooperative in Cuidad Bolivar
- Canopy or cable car ride in Parque del Cafe – El Saman
- Multilingual guide (English / Spanish / German)
- Water, tea, coffee, fruit juices
- Personal expenses
- Activities not mentioned in the program
Customize your trip: Add this tour to your Colombia-Roundtrip
Private trip: You can book any tour as a private trip and can start at any date you want.