Through the green hills of the central Andes passing by picturesque mountain villages, this tour takes you in the tropical rainforest of the Magdalena Medio. The nature reserve Cañon del Rio Alicante is a unique refuge of endemic animal and plant species. Over millions of years the rivers have helped create a vast cave system. Hike through the rainforest and explore the amazing underground world of the Alicante River. Visit the impressive Rock Piedra de Peñol that is surrounded by stunning lakes and the laid-back village of Guatape with its colorfully painted houses.
From the lush green mountains east of Medellín, and the tropical jungle, to the underworld of Alicante one experiences in a very short time the enormous variety and beauty that keeps Antioquia ready for the traveler.
Day 1: Following the old railroad through Antioquia’s Eastern Highlands
This tour takes you through the green hills Antioquia’s Northeast. In Cisneros you are told about the rich Colombian railway history. In Maceo you take an unpaved dirt road up to the nature reserve Cañon del Rio Alicante. The tropical rainforest and the large number of rivers and caves make a visit to Alicante a unique experience. In the afternoon you hike through the rainforest and enjoy the crystal clear water of the Quebrada del Sol. Alternatively there is the option of visiting a cacao plantation. You spend the night on a typical finca on the edge of the rainforest.
Day 2: Tropical Rainforest and the caves of the Alicante River
On this day you explore the famous cave system of the Alicante River. The narrow path through the dense rain forest leads you through beautiful, tropical vegetation full of orchids, bromeliads and exotic trees. Over the years nature has cratead an extensive cave system. You will explore the caves El Agua and Los Guacharos. The underground trails offer wonderful bedrock formation ladened sceneries. You spend the second night at the finca again.
Day 3: Through Antioquia´s Northeast to Medellin
Today you will experience the breathtaking landscape and climatic change from the tropical lowlands to the mountains of Antioquia. On a dirt road you pass by the natural reserve of San Lorenzo and arrive in the afternoon and the picturesque village Guatape and the famous Piedra del Peñol. From the top one can enjoy an impressive view of the surrounding lakes. In the early evening you reach Medellin.
*In case of unforeseen circumstances and to assure the passenger’s comodity and safety the intinerary can be subject of changing.
- Visit the caves of Alicante River, explore the tropical rainforest and swim in crystal clear jungle rivers
- Climb the 200 meter high Piedra del Peñol
- Experience the Colombian countryside
- Learn more about cacao, avocado and the history of the Colombian railways
- Explore the laid-back villages of Cisneros, Maceo and Guatape
- Taste delicious Colombian food
- Enjoy a scenic ride through the breathtaking landscapes of Antioquia’s Northeast and the Magdalena region
Prices & Conditions
- from 230 EUR pp
- Private transportation incl. pick-up-service
- Accommodations: 2 nights at the Finca Santa Barbara in Maceo (shared room)
- Meals (3x breakfast / 3x lunch / 2x dinner)
- Entrance fee to Reserva Natural Cañón de Alicante
- Entrance fee to Piedra de Peñol
- Guided caving with local guide
- Guided hike in Cañon de Alicante
- Multilingual guide (English / Spanish / German)
- Water, tea, coffee, fruit juices
- Personal expenses
- Activities not mentioned in the program
- October 4
- Individual group tour: All tours are made for individual booking. With 3, 4 or 5 individual bookings we will confirm the trip.
- Private trip: You can book any tour as a private trip and can start at any date you want.