Nuqui Colombia: Where the rainforest hits the ocean
4 Days / 3 Nights
Explore the unique Pacific Coast of Nuquí Colombia and be part of a real community experience: Get to know afro-colombian communities of the pacific coast in the area of Nuquí. Hike through tropical forest observing colourful exotic frogs and discover stunning waterfalls surrounded by rainforest and relax in termal water at the local hot springs. Journey up a pristine jungle river in a traditional canoe and explore endemic mangrove forest. All activities are organized and guided by the participating communities which are directly supported with health and education projects within their villages. Discover beautiful landscapes with jungle waterfalls, mangrove forests and deserted beaches.
Note: Whale season: July – October
This trip is offered by the Choco Comunity Tourism Alliance in asociation with Palenque Tours. By booking this trip, you will directly support health and education projects within the participating communities with 10 % of this trip’s price.
- Explore three Afro-Colombian Chocó communities
- Paddle through Colombia’s best preserved mangrove forests
- Swim under jungle waterfalls & hike through mountainous rainforest
- Relax in natural hot springs surrounded by tropical forest
- Enjoy remote sandy beaches and the jungle of Colombia’s Pacific Coast
- Support environmental projects in the local communities to conserve the rainforest
- Be part of an authentic community experience
- During season (july to novembre): whalewatching* (extra fee)
- Duration: 4 days
- Travel destination: Nuquí – Chocó
- Starting point: pick-up service at Nuquí airport
- Departure: daily on request
*Only if booking private transport
Day 1: Flight Medellin – Nuquí
Arrive in the morning in Nuquí, where your guide from the Community Tourism Alliance will meet you and bring you by boat to your hotel. The hotel is located at Guachalito beach, half an hour down the coast from Nuquí. On the way, enjoy the incredible landscapes where the mountains descent to the sea. After a fresh lunch, enjoy a free afternoon on the beaches of Guachalito, where you can snorkel, swim or just relax in a hammock in front of your eco-hotel.
Day 2: Community visits: Pristine Jungle River in Jovi & mangrove forest of Coqui
After breakfast, you will go by boat to the Joví community, where we travel by chingo up the Joví River. After an hour, you arrive at a waterfall in the rainforest, where you can take a dip in the crystal-clear water in the middle of the jungle. Return to Joví. Afterwards travel by boat to the neighbouring community of Coquí, where you will enjoy a traditional lunch of the Pacific Coast prepared by some of the best cooks in the Choco region. Accompanied by a guide from the village ecotourism association explore the nearby mangrove forests which is considered to be one of the best-preserved mangroves in Colombia. Return by boat to your eco-hotel at Guachalito beach.
Day 3: Community visit: Jungle hike, tropical frogs, waterfalls & hot springs in Termales
In the morning travel by boat to Termales, a small community in the south of Guachalito. Upon arriving in Termales the guides from the local community tourism association will lead you on a jungle path where you can observe different species of colourful tropical frogs as well as other animals like birds and monkeys. At the end of the trail, you arrive at a four picturesque waterfalls, which form wide, deep pools where you can swim. After that we return to the community of Termales. At the end of the trail you will find a natural hot spring, for which the town is named. Here, you can relax in the hot springs before returning by boat to Guachalito Beach.
Day 4: Depart from Nuquí
This morning after breakfast you return to the village of Nuquí by boat, where your flight will take you back to the city of Medellin.
*In case of unforeseen circumstances and to assure the passenger’s comfort and safety the itinerary might be subject of change.
- Travel insurance
- Daily activities & guided tours
- Accommodation (3 nights – double room)
- Meals (3 x per day)
- Entrance fee hot springs of Termales
- Contribution to environmental projects in the local communities conserving the rainforest
- Water, juices, coffee, tea
- Private local transportation
- Private local transportation
- Personal expenses
- Activities not mentioned in the program
- Please book at least 24 hours in advance
- Customize your trip: Add this tour to your Colombia-Roundtrip
- Private trip: You can book any tour as a private trip starting
any day you want.
- Want any changes to this program and create your personalized
tour? Feel free to contact us!