Nuquí Colombia: Utria National Park (Chocó)
4 Days / 3 Nights
The Utria National Park located north of Nuquí on Colombia’s Pacific Coast is among the most beautiful natural sceneries of the country. Due to its unique beauty it’s already a natural landmark of Colombia. This is where the humpback whales come to raise their newborns. The tropical forest reaches the remote sandy beaches that merge with the cristal clear sea. The tour combines natural and cultural highlights of the region. Visit Afro-Colombian communities and indigenous settlements deep in the jungle, explore the Utría National Park and hike through the tropical jungle observing exotic birds and animals, and discover coral reefs and the only white sandy beach at Colombia’s Pacific Coast.
This trip is offered by the Choco Comunity Tourism Alliance in asociation with Palenque Tours. By booking this trip, you will directly support health and education projects within the participating communities with 10 % of this trip’s price.
- Visit indigenous communities in the Colombian jungle
- Spot rare and endemic birds in Utría National Natural Park
- Hike through the jungle to discover remote beaches
- Explore coral reefs and underwater trails
- Relax at the only white beach on Colombia’s Pacific Coast
- Experience a unique accommodation
- Directly support environmental projects in the local communities to conserve the rainforest
- From July to November: whalewatching* (extra fee)
- Duration: 1 day
- Travel destination: Antioquia
- Starting point: pick-up service at or close to your place in Medellin
- Bilingual guide
- Departure: daily on request
*Only if booking private transport
Day 1: Flight Medellin – Nuquí & Hot Springs of Jurubirá
After arriving in Nuquí, the coordinator of the Community Tourism Alliance will bring you to the boat and from there you start your jungle adventure. At first, you visit the Afro-Colombian community of Jurubirá, a picturesque fishing village just outside of Utría National Natural Park where they cultivate “zoteas” gardens in old canoes raised up on stilts. A guided hike will bring you to the local hot springs located in the middle of a tropical jungle. Relax in the hot springs before heading back by boat to your eco-hotel. Enjoy dinner at the hotel and spend the evening on your own private beach or explore the trails in the jungle around the hotel.
Day 2: Utría National Natural Park & Playa Blanca
Meet the guide at your hotel in the morning and board your lancha (motorboat) for the ride to the Utría National Natural Park. July to November is the best time to spot humpback whales migrating to give birth and raise their newborns. This protected bay is one of the best places in the world to watch whales. After a guided tour to the visitor’s center, a wooden path will take you around the mangroves where you can learn more about this important eco-system. Later, you will get to explore the national park on a guided hike through prime forest over to a remote sandy beach where your boat picks you up and brings you to the small island of Playa Blanca. After a delicious lunch you can explore the island, snorkel at the coral reefs or just relax at the only white sandy beach on Colombia’s Pacific Coast. In the evening, return by boat to your eco-hotel.
Day 3: Jungle Hike and Indigenous Settlements
Early in the morning, you take a boat back to Jurubira to do a hike to an indigenous community deep in the rain forest. Throughout the 2 hours hike you can observe plenty of rare species, tropical birds, monkeys and medicinal plants. Experience how the indigenous communities still live deep in the forest in balance with nature and learn more about their daily life. In the afternoon, a traditional canoe takes you back to the village where you will be picked up to return to your eco-hotel.
Day 4: Depart from Nuquí
After breakfast the boat brings you back to the village of Nuquí to catch your flight back to Medellín.
- Travel insurance
- Spanish-speaking guide and boat driver
- Daily activities
- Private local transportation
- Accommodation (3 nights – double room)
- Meals (3 x per day)
- Water, juices, coffee, tea
- Entrance fee Utría National Park
- Entrance fee hot springs of Jurubirá
- Contribution to environmental projects in the local communities to conserve the rainforest
- Personal expenses
- Activities not mentioned in the program
- Please book at least 24 hours in advance
- Customize your trip: Add this tour to your Colombia-Roundtrip
- Private trip: You can book any tour as a private trip starting any day you want.
- Want any changes to this program and create your personalized tour? Feel free to contact us!