Popayan & National Park Purace
4 Days / 3 Nights
Discover the magic of the “white city” and hike through one of Colombia’s most beautiful national parks! In Popayan, also known as the “White City” due to its houses with white facades and many magnificent churches you will explore the historic center considered as one of the most beautiful and best preserved ones in Latin America. Since colonial times, Popayan has been the religious center on the road from Cartagena to Quito in Ecuador. It was home to many poets, presidents and writers from Colombia. During your hike within a unique flora and fauna in the National Park Puracé, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the hot springs of this volcanic landscape. The National Park is about 2500 to 4800 about sea level and is home of the unique “frailejones” and about 200 diferent orquides. If you’re lucky you can even admire the majestic Condor.
- Explore the cultural treasures of Popayan, also known as the White City
- Visit of the indigenous market in Silvia (only Tuesdays)
- Hot springs and waterfalls in the Puracé National Park
- Hike through one of the most beautiful National Parks in Colombia
- Duration: 4 days
- Travel destination: South Colombia
- Starting point: pick-up service at or close to your place in Medellin
- Bilingual guide
- Departure: daily on request
*Only if booking private transport
Day 1: Arrival in Popayan
Arrival at the airport of Popayán around midday and transfer to the Hotel. In the afternoon you have time to stroll around the city of Popayan, also known as the “white city”.
Day 2: Explore Popayan and indigenous market in Silvia
Today you will visit the traditional indigenous market of the Guambianos tribe in Silvia. In the afternoon you will learn about the history and the importance of Popayan since the colonial time. The city was founded in 1537, and was once one of the most important cities of Colombia, due to its strategic location on the way to Quito, Ecuador. Popayan has a lot of cultural treasures to offer, from beautiful churches to colonial architecture.
Day 3: Hiking in the Puracé National Park
Early in the morning you will start your half an hour ride to the beautiful Puracé National Park. Enjoy hiking through amazing landscapes and observe condors. You will be astonished by volcanoes, many lakes, unusual flora and fauna and a friendly Indian population. In the afternoon you can relax in one of numerous sulfur hot springs, before you are heading back to Popayan.
Day 4: Return
Today you will leave Popayan in the morning to your next destination.
- Travel insurance
- Private transportation incl. Pick-up service
- Accommodations: 3 nights
- Meals (3x breakfast / 3x lunch / 3x dinner)
- Accommodation (3 nights – double room)
- Guided city tour in Popayan
- Guided hike through the national park Puracé
- Entrance fees
- Multilingual guide (English / Spanish / German)
- Personal expenses
- Activities not mentioned in the program
- Please book at least 24 hours in advance
- Customize your trip: Add this tour to your Colombia-Roundtrip
- Private trip: You can book any tour as a private trip starting any day you want.
- Want any changes to this program and create your personalized tour? Feel free to contact us!