- Explore the Tatacoa Desert
- Take a bath in the hot springs of Rivera
- Visit the pre-Colombian grave mounds in San Agustin
- See the famous stone figures guarding the graves in San Agustin
- Cross the National Park Pucare
- Visit the archaeological park of Tierradentro
- Discover colonial Popayan
This tour takes you to the green balcony of Medellín’s coffee region located above the Cauca River valley. Enjoy the scenic landscape and be mesmerized by impressive views over the Cauca Valley in the colonial mountain village Támesis, surrounded by coffee and banana plantations. Hike on pre-Hispanic stone paths into the protected area of “San Antonio” with its caves, falls, and cloud forests full of orchids, bromeliads, and other exotic plants as well as countless colorful tropical birds. Discover pre-Hispanic petroglyphs and other archaeological troves. Visit traditional coffee plantations and enjoy the unbelievable hospitality of people in Southwest Antioquia.
Day 1: The Tatacoa Desert
Start your adventure in Neiva, located in Southern Colombia. After your arrival you will travel to the Tatacoa Desert with its unique scenery. The Tatacoa Desert is the second largest in Colombia and fascinates with stunning ochre and ash-colored stone formations. This impressive environment was created by processes of erosion which lasted hundreds of years. Enjoy a walk through the desert before you return to Neiva.
Day 2: Hot Springs of Rivera (B)
After breakfast we drive along the Magdalena River and stop in Rivera. Here you can enjoy the morning at the hot springs of Rivera, a beautiful natural pool surrounded by stunning nature. After lunch, we travel to the idyllic town of San Agustin and enjoy a ride through the impressive Andean scenery.
Hotel Akawanka Lodge
Day 3: Visit the Archaeological Park in San Agustin (B)
Today we visit the impressive archaeological park of San Agustin. Get to know the pre-Colombian culture: Explore the artificially erected grave mounds which are connected to each other by raised paths. Learn about the history of the native communities and hear about the death rituals they practiced for their chiefs and warriors, entombing them behind archaeological figures with all their belongings. The figures show different symbols carved into stone and give an insight into the pre-Colombian culture.
Hotel Akawanka Lodge
Day 4: Crossing the Andean Mountains to Tierradentro (B)
After breakfast, we leave San Agustin to cross the Andean mountain range. You travel through the National Park Pucare and pass Popayan until you reach the archaeological park of Tierradentro. Enjoy a tour through the park and discover the archaeological remains.
Hotel El Refugio
Day 5: Exploring Popayán (B)
In the morning we continue our journey to the colonial city of Popayan. Popayan has a lot of cultural treasures to offer, from beautiful churches to colonial architecture. On a city tour, learn about the history and the importance of the city since the colonial time. It was founded in 1537, and was once one of the most important cities of Colombia, due to its strategic location on the way to Ecuador.
- Travel Insurance
- Pick-Up Service from your hotel & Private transport
- Bilingual guide
- Meals (4x breakfast)
- Entrance fees
- Guided Hike in the Tatacoa Desert (only in Spanish)
- Visit of the Thermal Baths in Rivera
- Visit of the archaeological park San Agustin
- Visit of the archaeological park Tierradentro
- City tour in Popayan
- Services not mentioned in the program
- Tips to driver / guide
- Alcoholic beverages
In case of unforeseen circumstances and to assure the passenger’s comfort and safety the itinerary might be subject of change.
Information for the client
- Phone: +57 (4) 312 89 65
- EMail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment when booking
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Contact us by phone to cancel or ask about a cancellation. If you do not show up, you will be charged the full price