- Explore the “less known” parts of the Comuna 13
- Meet Afro-Colombian artists and get to know their music
- Learn how to move your body to the tropical beats.
- Get insider information about community-based cultural projects
Medellín is known as Colombia’s cultural melting pot and the most diverse city of the country. Colombia´s Afro-Colombian population traditionally lives along the Pacific Coast and Caribbean northwest, but the civil war and the extreme poverty in rural areas caused a huge wave of immigration towards the urban centres of the country. Due to that nowadays the Afro-Colombian culture is highly represented throughout Medellín and plays an important role in the cultural and social life of the city. The Comuna 13 district is not only famous for its unique electric escalators and graffiti, it also counts with a huge Afro-Colombian community and makes the Comuna 13 a cultural hotspot of the afro-Colombian music and dance scene. The neighbourhood was once considered the most dangerous of Colombia due to gang violence, paramilitary groups, and urban militias until a few years ago things began to change thanks to community-based initiatives and an urban innovation program of Medellín.
On this tour, you get to know one of the leading artist associations of the Comuna 13 and understand how cultural projects help to transform the community to reduce crime and fight poverty by offering an alternative lifestyle to the younger population. “Son Bata” is a network of local artists that invites people to dream and believe in themselves despite urban violence.
Explore the “Barrio” with the local artists and obtain deep insights of the afro-Colombian culture and art scene of the area. Enjoy breath-taking views above Medellín of the Comuna 13 while listening to their unique story before visiting their dance school for local youngsters. Here enjoy an exclusive dance class to Afro-Colombian beats and an introduction of percussion.
This activity supports directly the artist cooperation and helps them to maintain their project alive to improve the social integrity of the local community.
- Travel insurance
- Pick-up & Drop-off from your accommodation (in private or public transport) **
- Private expert guide (English or Spanish)
- Meeting local leaders of the Afro-Colombian community
- Private dance class
- Private percussion class
- Bottle of water (350 ml)
- Palenque Social Impact
** The type of transport depends on the option you select at the time of the booking
- Services not mentioned in the programm
- Tips to driver/guide
- Alcoholic beverages
Information for the client
- Phone: +57 (4) 312 89 65
- EMail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment when booking
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Contact us by phone to cancel or ask about a cancellation. If you do not show up, you will be charged the full price