- Visit the Santo Domingo barrio – Latin America`s only “Urban Gallery of Memory”
- Meet community leaders and get to know their unique stories
- Explore the area with locals and feel the positive energy spread by the community
- Support local community projects
In the north of Medellín, located high up in the eastern hills, in the Santo Domingo neighbourhood, we find Latin America`s only “Urban Museum of Memory” – an open-air gallery of colourful murals to remember the origin and the history of this particular sector of the city. For many years Santo Domingo was almost exclusively known for gang violence and this urban reality of Medellín changed just a few years ago. A group of local artists decided to participate actively in the change of their area and set up a community-run initiative based on education and social interaction to bring hope to the locals living in this excluded part of the city. A key element of this project is the history of the neighbourhood itself based on migration and poverty but is also full of dreams and hopes of those who escaped from the civil war or the poverty in the countryside. A particular aspect of the recent history of Santo Domingo is the urban conflict that lasted practically from the years of Pablo Escobar until today. These conditions influenced the daily life of the barrio and formed the character and community boundaries until today.
On this tour meet representatives of the community and local artists and explore the urban gallery guided by the locals themselves. The stories told are sometimes sad, sometimes happy but always express the love and dedication to the resistance of the locals to their territory built on steep hills of the valley.
Support directly the local community project and help them to go on with this unique work spreading hope and good vibes to the younger generations.
- Travel insurance
- Pick-up & Drop-off from your accommodation (in private or public transport) **
- Private expert guide (English or Spanish)
- Meeting local leaders of the Santo Domingo community
- Water bottle (350 ml)
- Palenque Social Impact
** The type of transport depends on the option you select at the time of the booking
- Services not mentioned in the programm
- Tips to driver/guide
- Alcoholic beverages
Information for the client
- Phone: +57 (4) 312 89 65
- EMail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment when booking
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Contact us by phone to cancel or ask about a cancellation. If you do not show up, you will be charged the full price